Monday, January 3, 2011

Legalized Insanity

Robin Williams has made a career of stream-of-consciousness comedy. He just picks up on an idea, starts riffing and an hour later ends somewhere totally different. Listen to his 1986 performance at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City, or his Live on Broadway performance in 2002.

Or this clip from his appearance on Inside the Actor's Studio.



He just starts with a simple thing and continues to riff throughout the interview. It's such a natural thing.

I'm a big fan of Williams and his comedy. I'm sure he works hard to put together his performances, but he also has a knack for improvisation, and the rapid-fire delivery has always amazed me.

I'm not on his level, and likely never will be. But it's an inspiration to me.

Tomorrow, I'm going to write something. I don't have any idea what it will be, but I'm just going to sit down and write for half an hour and see what I come up with.

Check back here to see what I come up with.

No comments: