Saturday, July 25, 2009

With the stroke of a pen...

I've always wanted to try my hand at writing a book. Specifically a novel. Non-fiction is great, and I read a lot of it, but I don't think I'm enough of an authority on anything to write a non-fiction book.

It's been something that's been sitting in the back of my mind for years, but I've never really done anything with the idea. My mother sometimes says I should write a book, and maybe build a career like Michael Patterson in "For Better or For Worse." He started out as a journalist, worked his way up to a magazine editor, and eventually had a novel published. Sure, he's just a character in a comic strip, but that doesn't mean I can't do the same thing.

I want to write something for myself. Not necessarily drawn from my own experiences, although that would certainly be part of it.

So I'm going to start posting some ideas on here, just as a way to get feedback. Later on, I'll post some samples of what I come up with.

All of this is hopefully going to lead to participating in National Novel Writing Month, which takes place every November. It's another of those things I look at every year and think "I should do this." This year, it's going to be "I'm doing this."

I should be posting the first ideas in the next week or so. I've got a few written down, and I'm going to flesh them out a bit, and then post them here. I'm sure many will be garbage, but that's the nature of writing. Much of it ends up being worthless, but buried in all the detritus can be something mind-blowing. Time for me to find that something.

-BT

No comments: