Monday, October 15, 2012

I don't need the NHL

Oct. 11, 2012.

In the future, I expect to look back at this date as the moment I finally stopped caring about the NHL.

Today, the NHL regular season was supposed to start. Eight teams were supposed to hit the ice to kick off another year.

But, alas, hockey fans such as myself are left with nothing after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and the 29 NHL owners (remember, the Phoenix Coyotes are still owned by the league) chose to lock the players out when the collective bargaining agreement expired. Rather than continuing to negotiate and let the season carry on under the old CBA, this small group chose to shut the league down.

At first, there was talk the lockout would be brief. There might be pre-season games lost, but in the end, no one really cares about the pre-season.

But as the start of the regular season approached, fans started having flashbacks to 2004. As the lockout approaches the month-long mark, it seems as though we won't be seeing any NHL hockey this year. And you know what? I'm OK with that.

I may change my tune in November or December, but for now, I'm OK with no hockey. I can watch MLB playoffs, I can watch the NFL. In two weeks, the NBA will open its regular season. Plenty of sports on TV to watch.

Beyond sports, I can read, I can play video games (about the only way I know of to get the Maple Leafs to hoist the Stanley Cup) or any number of other things. There's lots to do.

So, Mr. Bettman, Mr. Fehr. I don't need your league. And the longer you stay away this time, the more people you will discover who feel just like I do.

No comments: