Saturday, March 7, 2009

Employed in a dying industry

It's a terrifying thing, wondering if or when you might lose your job.

The Halifax Chronicle-Herald recently laid off two dozen reporters and editors. Two dozen. I'm not sure how big the staff at the paper is, but two dozen sounds like a lot to me. I work at a paper where there aren't even two dozen employees between all the departments. There are six people in our newsroom, half of them editors.

I compare the paper I work for to the Chronicle-Herald simply because of similar situations. The Chronicle-Herald lost its competition, the Daily News, last year. My paper lost its competition, the Carleton Free Press, in the past few months.

On a story from The Coast the stories of a few laid-off reporters from the grand ole Halifax daily are told. And it was heartbreaking. Some of these people are like me. Relatively new to the journalism industry. Just brushed aside by the corporate honchos. It's shocking.

Now the word comes down that CBC is planning on dumping some 800 employees. So when even the national broadcaster is cutting people loose, what chance does someone at a community-based, twice-weekly paper have?

People want to save the media, particularly newspapers. The print media is struggling to stay afloat. The Rocky Mountain News closed, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer shut down the print operations, San Francisco almost became the first city in North America without a major daily newspaper.

Newspapers have failed to evolve with the rest of the media. Some have figured out bits and pieces, putting together multimedia packages for websites. In fact, the Rocky Mountain News produced a fantastic video detailing the death of that historic publication. But many papers have yet to learn their lessons. This is the 21st century. When the internet provides 24-hour, up to the minute news, why would you read a paper, particularly a weekly? Why not get your news online?

I'm all for the salvation of newspapers. I enjoy having the physical product in my hands, but why should I pay for information I can get online for free? It makes no sense.

The other problem is a newspaper that essentially ignores the internet. Like the one I work for. The website for this paper, and every paper owned by this company, is utter garbage. It's simply the print edition stories posted online, in a difficult to navigate, ugly interface. We just got an award for having the second best website in Canada for a paper this size. Which suggests to me at least we're not alone in not having a clue about the website.

Like I said, a terrifying thing.

-BT

No comments: